Zettelkasten Forum

[SOLVED] Map "⌘+[" and "⌘+]" to backward and forward navigation

Hello, I am enjoying version 1.4.2 of The Archive so far. But one thing that has been bothering me is that "⌘+[" and "⌘+]" do not navigate back and forward as expected. Instead, I have to manually click the arrow buttons in the top left. Maybe they could be remapped?

Post edited by ctietze on

Comments

• Yeah, I was torn on this at first, but it appears that ⌘[ is commonly used to control indentation in a text editor, and we started out with that; the weird thing about The Archive here is that it's both an editor and has browser-like navigation.

If you want to override the defaults, you can remap this yourself from the "Keyboard" system preference pane. See e.g. halfway down this article: https://www.howtogeek.com/209725/how-to-customize-your-os-x-keyboard-and-add-shortcuts/

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• edited October 2019

Thanks for the link, I learned a new trick today :)

I think the default mapping surprised me because I had mentally put The Archive as "code editor inside a web browser", like editing on jsfiddle. When I found tab and shift+tab worked for indent this coding-in-a-browser view of the app was cemented in my mind, so it was a brain-bender for me when the navigation bindings defied my expectations.

But you are right that The Archive is also a text editor as well as a browser... which one should take precedence? I can see your predicament here.

Post edited by orderinthecourts on
  • @ctietze said:
    Yeah, I was torn on this at first, but it appears that ⌘[ is commonly used to control indentation in a text editor, and we started out with that;

BBEdit uses ⌥⌘[ and ⌥⌘] maybe that is a good convention?

@ctietze said:
    the weird thing about The Archive here is that it's both an editor and has browser-like navigation.

That's not weird at all, that's how TBL intended the Web to be. Think about that for a minute!