Zettelkasten Forum

Using Evernote as a PDF and article archive

I know that this is a frot topic but I've been an Evernote user for 10 years and have over 10k notes there. About 30% are self-generated and the rest result of my web clipping, my 'read later' use case for Evernote and its web clipper. @ctietze article The Collector’s Fallacy really touches home for me. I’ve been a collector for years. Stuff is lost in the haystack called Evernote. So much for my confession.
One of the use cases for Evernote for me is its ability to store and annotate PDF’s and papers. I’ve created a way to get an evernote:/// style link easily and reliably into The Archive using Keyboard Maestro.
This macro requires the link to the target Evernote note be in the most recent clipboard. Control - Option - Command - C captures it when in Evernote. Then switch to The Archive and Control - E converts it from a web link to a link that opens the target note in the desktop version of Evernote.
Results showing link that opens PDF in Evernote.

The simple Keyboard Maestro Macro.

Evernote Link.kmmacros

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• EXACTLY what I need. Thank you @Will! However, I just get it to work half way. When I insert the copied link from evernote by pressing Ctrl + E (mac) that inserts the www link, not the internal link. This is what the result looks like: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s17/nl/1822745/c2b93cd8-f2d8-4a4a-8290-bb99e1bd0ed5/
    Do you have any idea how to fix that? Any hints would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

• @kborglund, I have a couple of ideas.

1. Is KM Engine Running? The icon on Top Bar represents the KM Engine.
    2. Is the macro "Active". Macros can import inactive.
    3. Is the macro in the correct group. It needs to be in The Archive group and not the Evernote group. Didn't mention this in my earlier post.
    4. Lanch KM Editor and goto Preferences -> Variables -> zettelkastenEvernoteLink. What is the variable?

Hope this helps. If not we'll look deeper.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com