Zettelkasten Forum

[SOLVED] [BUG] Clicking on message:// links is not always handled correctly

edited May 2018 in Resolved Issues

When I put a Mail.app email link (such as message://%3C2A245AFF-699C-48D8-9BC0-6579A05BDBB0@acme.com%3e) into a note in The Archive, that link is properly rendered as a link, but when I click it, it is not handled correctly: Instead of the linked email being opened in Mail.app, a new message window is created with "3C86B7C998-9F8C-4661-BA2A-8EAE7F3B53FF@acme.com" as the sender.

If I format the link as an actual markdown link (i.e., like this: [](message://%3C2A245AFF-699C-48D8-9BC0-6579A05BDBB0@acme.com%3e), then clicking on it is handled properly.

It's a relatively minor issue, but I figured it couldn't hurt to bring it up. :smile:

EDIT:

Turns out, I was a bit too hasty and too theory guided in my bug hunting. It's does not matter whether you format the link as a markdown link or not; Instead, it matters where you click on the link: If you click on the message:// part, it is handled correctly, but if you click on the %3C2A2... part, then the bug described above is triggered.

Post edited by ctietze on

If you like The Archive's "PrettyFunctional (Basic)" theme, consider upgrading to the "PrettyFunctional (Regular)" theme.

Comments

• Whoa, will have a look at why the place you click matters! Thanks for reporting this

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• edited May 2018

FYI, I just found out that this happens when I paste email message links into rich text fields (notes in OmniFocus), too, sometimes. macOS default link recognition interprets 3C2A245AFF-699C-48D8-9BC0-6579A05BDBB0@acme.com as link of the form user@host in that case, which is still different from what you were seeing.

With encoded special characters, < is %3C, and > is %3e. Decoding them and removing the // yields the minimal working link on macOS:

This suffers from the same problems. Some variants are even recognized as email addresses when you click on them.

Will investigate further!

Edit: Came up with a fix, will ship with v1.0.6

Post edited by ctietze on

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Confirmed fixed with v1.0.6. :smile:

Also thanks for the background information. I've never had it happen with OmniFocus, but I also almost exclusively open the links via AppleScript there, and not via clicking on them.

If you like The Archive's "PrettyFunctional (Basic)" theme, consider upgrading to the "PrettyFunctional (Regular)" theme.

This discussion has been closed.