Zettelkasten Forum

[SOLVED] [BUG] Editor wonkiness with the symbol ✔︎

edited September 2022 in Resolved Issues

This bug occurs with v1.7.5 Beta (2021-11-17)

I'm restarting a writing project and using the symbol ✔︎ as an indicator for completing a section of the outline.
Not too sophisticated, but I'm not fancy. This problem is trivial, but you wanted reports. I might be off base, and the problem is evidence of my misunderstanding.

The ✔︎ symbol is placed in a note, then the editor is switched to a different zettel, and the symbol disappears until some edit is made. Weird and hard to isolate and reproduce.
I'm not sure when this behavior changed.

Here is a better example but a little different. When I add a checkmark (any edit will invoke this behavior), all the others disappear until the editor's focus is refreshed by looking at a different zettel. If an edit is made to the line with the invisible checkmark, the checkmark on that line only will reappear.

Post edited by ctietze on

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• @Will interesting bug, thanks for the GIFs! Can you email me a demo file that doesn't show the ✔︎ mark when you visit it + instructions if I need to search for something (or not search at all) before I select the note + if you have "highlight search terms" enabled? Trying to narrow this down.

I presume this also happens when you freshly open the app again?

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• The same happens with the ` character (which you usually use as a pair to mark code inline, for example). It's strange because you lose this edit when you open another note, just for the last paragraph.

• @ralfzosel Thanks for pointing this out! Just so we're on the same page, can you give step-by-step instructions for me to reproduce your observation?

I interpret it as: you enter a single ``` backtick in the bottommost/last paragraph, and the rest of the note switches the rendering of ✓ checkmarks?

• @ctietze Sorry for confusing you. "The same happens" just meant: the edit vanishes too.

I mark a word in the last paragraph with the mouse and hit the key for the backtick ones. Automatically, two backticks appear, one in front and another after the marked word. I go to another zettel and when I return to the first zettel, the backticks are gone.

• edited September 2022

@Will With v1.7.8 I can't reproduce the issue anymore with your checkmark sample file. How's it looking for you? (If it still happens, can you share your font and theme settings?)

@ralfzosel Similarly, the backtick-saving issue (which is unrelated) doesn't appear anymore.

Please check how it looks for you 🙏

• @Will I found the issue of the checkmarks vanishing -- and it's fixed with v1.7.9 since today.

• @ctietze Thank You for persevering and solving the mystery of the vanishing checkmarks, which is a minor little bug.

The new feature of drag and drop images to a zettel is awesome. People who want to add a visual aspect to their notes will find this a wonderful tool, especially with "Show Image Previews" turned on or with "Streaming to Preview in Marked." (This feature also works with other file formats.)

The new feature "New: Create a note from right-click menu in the search results list" is problematic as it creates a note with a UID and places the cursor in the blank editor window. The cursor should be placed at the end of the UID in the Omni Bar so a title can be created before the note is committed to the file system. Otherwise, you'd have to go backward and edit the file/note name every time. This is a feature I won't be using, but I can see how it might add confusion to beginners.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Thanks for the feedback, @Will!

The checkmark problem, I found, could also affect other contents (i.e. any character that is not actually part of the editor font, so macOS picks a suitable replacement from Zapf Dingbats, or the Apple Emoji font, etc.) -- so like most things it looked minor, but revealed a much deeper issue :)

I'd actually like to add telemetry to the app to track usage of features like creating notes from the Omnibar. Do really many people "get it"? I'm in your boat on the matter of note creation, of course, but people also do seem to rely on discovering how to create a file with ⌘N for example.